Hidalgo and Goodman reviewed 30 articles published in the American Journal of Public Health over the 1-year span from December 2010 to November 2011 having used “multivariate” statistical methods.

In 5 of the 30 articles (17%) multivariate methods were actually used. The remaining 25 articles (83%) had used multivariable methods such as multiple logistic or linear regression.

The authors conclude that differentiating between multivariate and multivariable methods are important, and that there is need for more accurate application and reporting of multivariable methods.


1. Hidalgo B, Goodman M. Multivariate or multivariable regression? Am J Public Health 2013;103:1-3.